Thursday, October 11, 2012

These Old Shoes

THESE OLD SHOES
Dr. Thomas Galt
            I was walking up to where we meet the bus to gather the kids from school. I realized I had on my old moccasins on. My old faithful shoes that a friend of mine had given to me a long time ago. These old shoes have been all around and never failed me yet. The toe on the right one has a little hole in it but still keeps my foot safe. No matter what I do to them, no matter how I abuse them, these old shoes keep going. Just like the old Timex saying "takes a licking and keeps on ticking."
            As I thought about that I began to think about my relationship with Christ. It has not been easy over the last 41 years since I meet Christ as my personal savior and my best friend. I have had my ups and downs. But through it all one thing has always been consistent and always in the back of my mind. One verse stays with me.
Matthew 28:20
20 Teaching them to observe all things whatsoever I have commanded you: and, lo, I am with you alway, even unto the end of the world. Amen. 
This verse has gotten me through more hard times.
            I was pastoring a church many years ago and also had a small business. Things started to go south and I ended up having to file bankruptcy. Instead of anyone wanting to talk and find out what was going on, the deacons showed up and told me I was to quit as they were going to take over. As I prayed and asked God what to do He reminded me of this scripture. In my heart and through confirmation through a member of the church I stayed. Though men may leave God will forever remain faithful. The deacons left and funny thing. The problems that had plagued the church stopped. Too many times I have read of stories of where people have gotten into trouble and all forsook them but the presence of God was there. A good example is Jonah. Ran from his calling and ended up in the belly of a whale. Forsaken. Forgotten. Except by God the Father.
            I know of a lady, a true story, which was at home one evening. Her husband had gone off to work. He worked the late shift. Being by herself she was just overcome with this sense of being all alone. She had contacted some people and asked if they could come and see her. Everyone was too busy or not at home. She felt this ever present sense of complete and utter abandonment. Her husband wasn't there. Her “friends” weren't there. Her family wasn't there. No body. Not even the neighbors were there. Earlier in the day there was utter and total rejection by some that she thought were friends. This was the culmination of what she felt was being shoved out on the plank like on a pirate ship. Many thoughts ran through her mind. Just give up and die. Run away and just get a new life if she could. Maybe she should just commit suicide as no one would probably care anyway. There was this overwhelming urge to just end what she felt was misery. She told me in the midst of this she just cried out so loud that if the neighbors were home they would have heard her. “GOD IF YOUR THERE SHOW ME. NOW.” All of a sudden she saw in the bed next to the chair where she was sitting it seemed as though someone sat down. Then she felt arms wrapping around her. The very presence of God was there to let her know, “lo, I am with you always, even unto the end of the world.”
            You know, honestly I really don't care if people believe that things like this happen today. They really do. I have a prime example for you from my own life. I had been at a revival one night at a small church way out in a little country town. As I was traveling home a voice spoke just as loud as if someone was sitting next to me. But I was the only one in the car. “You’re going to die tonight.” I looked around and no one. I looked at the radio to see if it was on. Nope. I just ignored it thinking that maybe it was from some pizza I had earlier. Then the voice spoke again, but a little louder, “YOUR GOING TO DIE TONIGHT.” Traveling on an old country road after taking a short cut, I honestly began to get scared and tremble. I thought I was going to die that night. I began to weep. Tears began to flow down my checks like two rivers. I thought of my family that I was going to leave. I thought of my children that I was not see grow up. Many thoughts ran through my mind. I thought God was taking me home. In the middle of the tears I heard another quieting voice, soothing like a brook near a campsite. Like a warm blanket peace began to fill the car. This voice spoke and said “Look up.” I figured what the hey. I'm going to die anyway so why not. As I looked up towards the top of the car, now mind you I was a little confused because what was I going to see? The inside of the roof of my car? Well, in this instance God allowed me to see in the Spirit realm. Behind me I saw a man standing with his hands on the back of the driver’s seat, tall enough that he was outside of the car roof. He was in a light blue flowing gown. Bald as a baby's bottom. He looked down on me eye to eye and said, “You’re not going to die tonight. Go on home. You are safe.” Well, my friend, the tears flowed again but these were tears of joy. The angels of the Lord were there to help protect me.
            I have told that story before and had people to write me and say they have had a similar experience. One told a story of a preacher that was holding a revival. A man came in the middle of the revival meeting and was intent on killing the preacher. He had a gun inside his jacket. He sat down and reached inside his jacket to get the gun. The preacher unaware of what was happening kept going. The man sat up and then walked down the isle and sat on the front row. He kept preaching. Invitation came. The man sat on the front row eyes as wide as saucers. He went to the preacher and told him the whole story. The preacher asked him what happened and why didn't he shoot? “I had every intention of doing that but that big man that stood behind you stopped me. Every move you would make, he made. Every step you took, he took.” God had opened this man's eyes to see in the Spirit realm to see the mighty angel of God.  He gave his heart to Christ.
            God would not give us life and then tell us “Well, you’re on your own now. Hope you make it.” Powerful words.  I am with you always, even unto the end of the world. Amen. This world is not going to get better. We read in the scriptures that the times are a changing and they are going to get worse. But those whose trust is in Christ, they shall be overcomers. May feel worn out. May have a hole in the toe like my old moccasins. But in the end, we make it. We win. Your not the only one that has ever felt alone. Read these powerful words straight from the lips of the Master, 32 Behold, the hour cometh, yea, is now come, that ye shall be scattered, every man to his own, and shall leave me alone: and yet I am not alone, because the Father is with me. John 16:32 (KJV)

No comments:

Post a Comment